Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jeju-do Pt. 1

Wow, this past weekend was a whirlwind since three full days were spent in Jeju Island! I love these excursions, even though they're tiring, because the directors try to pack so much into every day so that the group gets to see many different places! I especially loved the Jeju excursion because of all the breathtaking places that we visited, I was constantly taken aback by how beautiful every place we visited was!

I took over 800 pictures and after editing, I have over 100 pictures that I want to share, so these posts are going to be long and plentiful :) Make sure to read all of the comments underneath the pictures since I'll be sharing little tidbits!

We arrived on Friday, November 29th and our hotel was beautiful and was right on the ocean! We could see the water from our room and if you walked out the doors, this was practically the view you got! So wonderful!

Our first destination after setting down our bags in our hotel was to visit Manjanggul Lava Tubes! The surrounding grounds were beautiful as well with many different trees and plants! I felt like I was in a Hayao Miyazaki movie!!



Inside the lava tubes... I felt like I was in a cathedral, the tube was enormous! I also had an interesting conversation while walking with someone I don't normally talk to, so that was really cool!



(The two pictures below) There was a hole that stretches from the bottom of the lava tube to the outside which is how this structure was formed. The lava dripped down and just dried in the shape that you see... the board that explained this phenomenon was much more informative, but I forgot to take a picture of it. 



(The two picture below) The "Dolharubang" is Jeju Island's (for lack of better words) mascot. "Dolharubang" means "Stone Grandfather" in Jeju dialect. It's a well-known symbol of Jeju now and was believed to have been created in order to block evil spirits from entering villages! These statues are all over Jeju, so this isn't the last you'll see of them in my pictures! :)

Nateesha with the "Dolharubang"
Me with Jeju-do's "Stone Grandfather"




Jason trying to be cool... by wearing a shawl.


After the lava tubes, we drove over to a beach, which was beautiful! However, it was ridiculously cold and windy, so no one went into the water. 



Nateesha
Jay :)


Lastly, we went back to the hotel and picked up a bunch of food to celebrate Thanksgiving together! We had a fun time and it was nice to spend time with a bunch of people since I felt a little deprived of a holiday before this. 

Of course, because we are in Korea, for Thanksgiving we watched a K-pop concert that was being aired on T.V. :) That's all for now, but part 2 will be coming very soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment