Wednesday, September 4, 2013

City Nights in Korea

Seoul during the day is truly beautiful. Right now, since it's still Summer, the trees and flowers are vibrant and there are people out and about everywhere. But because the days are still so hot and humid, it takes until night when everyone really comes out from the semi air-conditioned stores and houses (and I say "semi" because in Korea, air-conditioning is not at all like in the U.S. It is much weaker and most places don't even have the air on, even if it's there. Korea is very eco-friendly in that way. All over my room/dorm are signs telling you to turn off the lights when you leave a room and to not use the air unless necessary. It's really awesome that they do that, but for a "sweaty foreigner"* like me, it's a little torturous. To make matters more steamy, in Korea it's not normal for people to wear tank tops. Guys and girls will be fully dressed in long sleeves and pants in 30 degrees Celsius weather! To me, I would have a heat stroke if I did that! I've been joking that I can wear tank tops and pull out the "foreigner card" when people look at me weird... which they do). So, tonight I took a nice walk in the streets close to my campus! The cool air mixed with the crowds of people and the smell of street food with a different K-pop song blasting from each store as you walk along the street makes for a really nice atmosphere!

*I say "sweaty foreigner" because Koreans don't seem to sweat or use deodorant... and yet they smell fine. Which is slightly upsetting for this Armenian-Italian-Canadian born foreigner in particular since I have to put on new deodorant every 5 hours. More information about me than you wanted to know? Well, deal with it. All I have to say is that I'm excited for cooler days!

I am a little ashamed to say that I've been here a fully week and haven't tried street food yet, but I'm kinda saving it for when it get's colder. Just picture a really cold day and stopping on the street in the middle of a long walk to get a serving of hot, steamy ddeokbokki or takoyaki (which is Japanese, but they have their own version here and I don't know what it's called). Doesn't that sound more amazing that buying those things on a day where you're dripping with sweat? Right? Right.





These are so cute! I want to buy one for my dorm, but I don't know what I would do with it in 4 months when I leave...







No comments:

Post a Comment